Saturday, January 21, 2012

Octomom, anyone?

Geez.  Where is my 'gray zone'???  Why does my body insist on doing things to one extreme or the other?!?

Good News: I responded to Follistim.
Bad News: I could have been the next Octomom.  Seriously.

Our IUI has been cancelled due to having too many follicles.  8 possible mature follicles to be exact.  EIGHT. WHAT?!?!  How can a person go from not being able to produce ONE quality egg to EIGHT follicles ranging from 14-19mm???

The nurse called on Thursday afternoon with the results I was anticipating--Dr. Doherty was concerned with follicle amount and size.  She wanted to see us in person for u/s and blood work before she decided what the next step would be.  I told DH we would be making the drive to see her; he was little irritated that we would have to go to Omaha for the same thing they could do in Kearney.....he was changing his tune after we met with her and realized what a fiasco we had on our hands.  I tried to keep my composure while we were going over everything and what our next steps would be, but it was hard.  She thinks we need to try one more round of Follistim, moving just a little slower with the med dosage and monitoring my estrogen more, as my estrogen levels were much lower than they should have been for the amount of follicles I had.  If I still overstim, we will scrap IUI all together and move onto IVF this summer (this is because we can control how many go in...where with IUI there's no telling how many will fertilize).  She said with IVF she will push me hard with the meds, hoping to get the same results as we had this cycle, then do ET and IVF.

I know this is a "good problem" to have, much better than if I wouldn't have responded to the meds at all...but I'm still so disappointed that we start the wait over, again.....I will begin another pack of birth control so we can start the next injection cycle from a baseline.  This means that we won't get started again until March.  The waiting part is what sucks.  I know we're on the right path....I need to dig deep, yet again, and find the patience I'm needing to get through this and remember that this is GOD'S WILL. HIS WILL BE DONE.....NOT MINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment